Heritage Preservation and Urban Renewal in Hong Kong
In recent years several regions of Hong Kong are being redeveloped, and many old buildings have been, or will be demolished, whereas some others will be preserved. In either case, residents of these old buildings are usually required to move out. Consequently, their life will be significantly changed.
Why some old buildings are preserved while others are demolished? What are the selecting criteria, and who have the power to decide? What are the roles played by local communities, scholars and other interest holders in this process? How does the urban re-development have impact on local communities?
This on-going project aims at investigating the issue of heritage preservation in urban renewal in Hong Kong, focusing on roles played by different groups of interest holders, the impact of urban renewal on local peoples' life, and the negotiation of power between these groups.
(For more information, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org )
Related publications [相關論文]:
Lu, Tracey and Maria Tam
- 2006 Documenting Wan Chai People's Life, A report submitted to the Wan Chai Urban Council
- 2003 "The Management of Cultural Heritage in Hong Kong". Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies Occasional Paper No. 137. Hong Kong: the Chinese University of Hong Kong, 2003.
- 2007 "Some Issues on Heritage Conservation and Urban Renewal in Hong Kong", in Proceedings of the International Conferences on Urban Cultures, pp. 275-280, ed. by the State Administration of Cultural Heritage (SACH). Beijing: SACH, 2007 (in Chinese)
- 2008 "The Construction of Social Memory in History Museums of Hong Kong and Macau": peer-reviewed paper presented at the presented at the 6th International World Archaeology Congress at the University of Dublin, 29th June-4th July 2008.
- 2009a "Heritage Conservation in Post-colonial Hong Kong", International Journal of Heritage Studies, 15 (2-3): 258-272.
- 2009b "Urban Heritage Conservation in Two Cities: Comparing Hong Kong to Singapore": peer-reviewed paper presented at the Society of East Asian Anthropology Congress at the Academica Sinica, Taipei, on 2nd July 2009.