|15 June 2020||Scholarship||LI, Wing Yi has been awarded MSc Scholarship for Outstanding Student 2019-20|
This programme is offered by the Department of Chemistry of the Chinese University of Hong Kong. It is formulated and taught by experts in the education, testing and accreditation sectors, including professors of the University, former professional staff of the Government Laboratory, exaccreditation officers and experienced assessors of the Hong Kong Accreditation Service, and managerial staff of testing laboratories.
Objectives/Expected Learning Outcomes
This programme aims at giving graduates with a relevant Bachelor of Science degree a thorough understanding of the concepts of quality assurance in laboratory operations and is intended to develop their technical expertise in various fields of chemical testing. Upon successful completion of the programme, graduates are expected:
- to acquire the knowledge and skills for the development and implementation of a quality management system required for a chemical testing laboratory;
- to understand the requirements for laboratory accreditation;
- to recognize local regulatory requirements and international trade protocols related to testing;
- to understand chemical testing of foods, environment pollutants, construction materials, toys or related consumer goods
Those who wish to pursue a career in chemical testing or related industries will find the programme useful and rewarding.
About the Department
The Department of Chemistry is one of the largest and best equipped departments in the Chinese University. The four-year undergraduate programme provides students with training in all disciplines of modern chemistry. Being one of the best research departments in the Univerisity, the articulated MPhil-PhD programme involves course work and a thesis embodying the results of original research. The present MSc taught programme in Accreditation Chemistry is intended to provide training to graduates, in an integrated approach, on chemical testing, laboratory management, quality assurance and concepts and requirements for laboratory accreditation.
Last Update : 25-July-2018
- A BSc degree in Science or related disciplines
- Fulfilment of the English Proficiency Requirement ?
- Experience in Chemical Testing Industry is preferable but not compulsory
- Full-time : 1 Year
- Part-time : 2 Years
- 2 Terms + Summer Term per year
- Full-time: $ 130,000
- Part-time: $ 65,000 per annum
Credit Unit Requirements for Graduation
- Required courses: 9 Units
- Elective courses: 18 Units
- Project: 3 units (Optional)
All students are required to meet all the programme requirements, pass all the assessment and obtain a cumulative overall GPA of at least 2.0 in order to graduate.
- assignments, essays and written reports
- presentation and group discussion
Last Update : 3-Oct-2016
- provide a comprehensive coverage on the requirements of the international accreditation standard based on ISO/IEC 17025
- focus on understanding the concepts of quality assurance and their implementation in laboratory testing and management
- provide training on performance management, including planning of audit and the auditing skills to be used in laboratory audit, and relevant follow-up action
- emphasize the importance of the laboratory management system in quality assurance and effectiveness of laboratory operation
- provide fundamental knowledge of various statistical tools for treamnet of analytical data
- realize the estimation of the measurement uncertainty based on relevant international practices
- apply various approaches in evaluation of uncertainty of measurement for different analytical methods and uncertainty of in-house calibration of general equipment
- report test results and compliance taking into consideration of measurement uncertainty
- provide training and guidance on method validation requirements to ensure traceability, reliability and adequacy in performance of the method developed
- give a comprehensive coverage on various quality control practices to ensure the quality of test data
- focus on equipment qualification of general equipment used in analytical laboratories
|CHEM5501||Laboratory Accreditation Based on ISO/IEC 17025||3 Units|
|This course aims to provide a comprehensive understanding of the requirements of the international accreditation standard based on ISO/IEC 17025. It focuses on planning and auditing skills of testing laboratory with an elaboration on relevant technical issues required for monitoring performance of work and the follow-up tools. Emphasis is also given to the practice and application of laboratory management system to improve the reliability and productivity of laboratories.|
|CHEM5502||Measurement Uncertainty||3 Units|
|This course aims to provide fundamental knowledge on various statistical tools available for treatment of analytical data. This includes an introduction to probability and counting, distributions, descriptive statistics, estimation, mean and variance, comparing two means and two variances, simple linear regression, correlation and analysis of variance and principal component analysis. Particular emphasis is also given to the estimation of measurement uncertainty based on the ISO/IEC Guide 98-3 under different testing conditions.|
|CHEM5503||Method Validation and Quality Control in Analytical Laboratory||3 Units|
|This course aims to provide training and guidance on the method validation and quality techniques used in the laboratory to obtain reliable results. It includes evaluation of detection and quantitation limits; assessment of the linearity of correlation and calibration range; traceability and the use of certified reference standards. Emphasis is given to the quality control of the analytical process and proficiency testing activities.|
|CHEM5506||Food Safety and Testing||3 Units|
|This course introduces the importance of food testing and provides a comprehensive coverage of analytical methods for qualitative and quantitative analysis of food nutrients and additives such as dyes and preservatives.|
|CHEM5508||Environmental Pollutants, Analysis and Monitoring||3 Units|
|This course aims to introduce the principles and applications of various environmental sampling and analytical techniques for use in environmental monitoring and pollution control.|
|CHEM5511||Analytical Atomic Spectroscopy||3 Units|
|The course will cover the fundamentals of spectroscopy and various analytical spectroscopic techniques for use in common testing laboratories. These spectroscopic techniques include infrared spectrometry, flame and electrothermal atomic absorption spectrometry, plasma atomic emission spectrometry, inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry, X-ray fluorescence spectrometry and atomic fluorescence spectrometry. Selected applications of analytical spectrometry will be discussed in details.|
|CHEM5513||Principal and Practice of Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry in Analytical Sciences||3 Units|
|This course intends to provide an in-depth knowledge on the advanced chromatographic and mass spectrometric methods for characterization of different materials, including synthetic (such as drugs and polymers) and naturally available molecules (such as proteins and DNAs). This course will also discuss the various modes of on-line separation and identification techniques involving both chromatography and mass spectrometry methods.|
|CHEM5515||Research Project||3 Units|
|This optional course aims to provide an opportunity for individuals to undertake a research project relevant to the accreditation chemistry, such as certification of reference materials or measuring devices; or experimental evaluation of measurement uncertainty. The research work will be conducted on Saturdays of the term time. Students with free time on Saturdays are encouraged to take this course and to acquire practical experience.|
|CHEM5516||Risk Management in Chemical Testing Laboratory||3 Units|
|This course aims to provide a comprehensive understanding of the unique environmental, health and safety issues that arise in chemical laboratory, including local legislations for environmental, health and safety in workplace, standard practices for chemical handling, hazardous identification and risk assessment to the exposure of chemicals, use and maintenance of safety and personal protection equipment, disposal of chemical waste. Particular emphasis is also given to the establishing and implementing environmental, and health and safety management system in laboratory according to International Standards such as ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001.|
|CHEM5517||Metrology in Chemistry||3 Units|
|Comparability of chemical measurements and their traceability are the essential elements in establishing mutual recognition of analytical results and thereby providing a foundation for global agreements related to international trade, commerce and regulatory issues. This course aims to provide an in-depth coverage of the scientific basis for comparability of chemical measurements and their traceability. This includes the use of inter-laboratory comparison and certified reference materials.|
|CHEM5518||Chemical Testing of Consumer Products||3 Units|
|This course aims to provide students with the essential knowledge of national and international standards as well as regulatory requirements in major markets for chemical testing of consumer products such as toys and children products, textiles and garments, cosmetics, food containers, etc. Practical consideration when conducting method validation and setting quality control plan for the testing will also be discussed.|
|CHEM5519||Chemical Testing of Construction Materials||3 Units|
|This course provides a comprehensive coverage of qualitative and quantitative analytical methods of materials derived from different industries. Topics include basic science and analytic techniques for testing different construction and building materials such as cement, concrete, and reinforcement bar.|
|CHEM5521||Pharmaceutical Testing and Analysis||3 Units|
|This course will cover the testing methodologies and their applications in quality control and regulatory compliance of pharmaceutical products (raw materials and finished products). The quality assurance guidelines and accreditation requirements of relevant chemical test methods will also be discussed.|
|CHEM5522||Drinking Water Treatment Processes and Testing of Water Quality||3 Units|
|The course aims to provide an overview of water treatment processes and technologies together with associated chemistry, application of sampling and analytical methodologies for process and water quality control, scope and significance of different testing regimes and investigation of water quality issues. The course will also discuss quality assurance and the requirement for accreditation of relevant testing methods.|
|CHEM5523||Chemistry and Analytical Methods of Surface Finishing & Coatings||3 Units|
|This course provides a comprehensive coverage of analytical methods used for characterization of surface finishing and coatings on different substrate materials used in various types of industrial and commercial products. Topics include basic science and analytic techniques for various type of surface finishing technology, such as electroplating, vacuum deposition, anodizing and coatings, etc.|
# Not all elective courses are available. Please contact the programme office for the elective courses offered in the coming academic year.
Last Update : 25-July-2018
Last Update : 31-Oct-2017
- Submit online application via the Graduate School website.
- Send supporting documents to MSc in Accreditation Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, Room G59, Ma Lin Building, Science Center, South Block, CUHK, Shatin, N.T. Applicants should quote the “Application No” generated for their application on the documents. The required supporting documents include:
- Official Transcripts*
- Copies of Degree Certificates
- Official English Language Test Report(s) showing the applicant has fulfilled the Graduate School’s English Language Proficiency Requirement*
- Confidential Recommendations from two referees*
- Copies of Identity card or Passport
- Application will be processed on a rolling basis until all places are filled. Therefore, early applications are recommended.
Last Update : 12-September-2019
The content of MSc in Accreditation Chemistry website is subject to change without notice. Neither the CUHK nor the Programme shall accept any liability for any loss or damage howsoever arising from any use or misuse of or reliance on any information in this website.
Personal Information Collection Statement
When you visit this website, we will have record of your Domain Name Server address and the pages you have visited. This information may be used by us for statistical purpose only.
Policy on Personal Data
For the University's policy on personal data, please click here.
Last Update : 25-July-2018