Key objectives of the project address the needs of all Clinical Year students (n= 560), including
- Develop eLearning Resources focused on Mastery Learning through schematic pattern recognition training – in each of the 4 key subject domains.
- Develop a CAT Platform – incorporating a multidimensional variant of computer adaptive testing – for use in 4 selected key subject domains within the Medical Faculty (in each of which mastery is an important requirement for patient care).
- Develop Computer Adaptive Tests (CAT) to support Mastery Learning and provide Formative Feedback to student learners.
Activities, process and outcomes
- A Computer Adaptive Test (CAT) APP and content management system (CAT Platform) for managing the questions to be used in the APP, have been developed. and tested within the architecture of the APP.
- A backbone of the Adaptive Testing Platform is an assessment Item-Bank, in which Item Psychometric data is used as an index of difficulty. We have successfully linked the APP to the IDEAL database (a multi-institutional collaborative Item-Bank). Every use of the questions contributes to their psychometric evaluation and the bank thus improves the precision with which “Mastery” of a subject can be defined.
- The APP must be used as an assessment resource that will enable students to work towards the development of mastery. We have developed a workflow that should be an integral part of the educational teaching strategy towards attainment of mastery in various disciplines
Deliverables and evaluation
- The Mastery Learning App is made available on the Apps appear on Android and Apple Store.
- A Pilot study on the use of the Mastery algorithm in a small cohort of students (n=120) was deemed successful. Only 10% of the students were able to attain Mastery (as defined by the algorithm). This correlated very well with their summative examination assessment scores (R=0.83).
- The CATS Platform is being integrated with the IDEAL Assessment Bank Program. This will enable Multi-institutional utilization of the APP and enhance its use across various disciplines, particularly as a Mastery Learning Tool.
- Individual Teachers may also use the APP for their teaching and learning activities.
Dissemination, diffusion, impact and sharing of good practices
- A Website for the project is established at the following link
- The development has been discussed and presented at local regional and international educational workshops (Mastery Learning Using an APPS based Learning Tool: Maharashtra Health Sciences University Workshop, Mumbai, 26 January 2019.; CAT as Mastery Learning – University of Notre Dame, Medical Faculty, Sydney, 3-5 April 2019.; Towards Mastery Learning : Presentation at CUHK Department of O&T Teachers Retreat. 11 May 2019.
- The Project will also be disseminated through a workshop at the IDEAL Summit to be held in Vienna, 24-28 August. This will allow access to 30 Institutional members and will greatly enhance its utility but also help us improve its functionality.