Mission & Objectives
The Public Policy Research Centre (PPRC) is an interdisciplinary research unit under The Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies of The Chinese University of Hong Kong. Working closely with the Social Science Faculty of the University, and also other faculties, centres and institutes at the Chinese University, the PPRC strives to promote public policy research on Hong Kong, the Pearl River Delta and also the Asia-Pacific region in general.
To achieve this mission, the Centre strives to:
- Undertake basic and applied social science research on significant public policy issues
- Provide a platform for supporting and stimulating faculty members to carry out public policy research
- Offer a venue for faculty members interested in public policy research to exchange ideas and findings.
- Disseminate widely the findings to the general public and scholarly community and raise public awareness of policy issues
- Act as a bridge between the University and the wider community in the understanding and deliberation of policy issues
The PPRC sponsors and organizes policy forums, conferences and seminars. It will also publish research reports in the form of policy research paper and prepare policy briefs that provide the public with the background information of major current issues. For projects affiliated to the PPRC, the Centre will provide logistic support in the implementation of the research. Knowing the importance of raising the awareness and knowledge of the younger generation on policy issues, we also seek to work closely with secondary schools and especially the Liberal Studies community in bringing social scientific policy research to bear on teaching and learning at the secondary level.