- Video Analysis
- Ethnomethodology (EM) and Conversation Analysis (CA)
- New Technologies and Social Interaction
- Video-Mediated Communication
- Photography and Interaction
Gan. Y. M., Greiffenhagen C., & Licoppe, C. (2019). Orchestrating openings: the first five seconds of video calls between migrant parents and their left-behind children. Invited talk at the School of Computer Science at the University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK, 15 March 2019.
Searles, K. D., & Gan, Y. M. (2018). Accounting for leaving the camera view in video-mediated communication. Paper presented at the 104th Conference of National Communication Association (NCA), Salt Lake City, U.S.A., 8-11 November 2018.
Gan. Y. M., Greiffenhagen C., & Licoppe, C. (2018). Scaffolding: grandparents assisting video-mediated parent-child interaction. Paper presented at the 5th ICCA 2018 Conference (International Conference of Conversation Analysis), Loughborough, UK, 11-16 July 2018.
Gan, Y. M., & Greiffenhagen, C. (2017). Distant Love? The achievement of intersubjectivity between parents and 'left‐behind' children in video calls among Chinese migrants. Paper presented at the IIEMCA 2017 Conference (International Institute for Ethnomethodology and Conversation Analysis). Otterbein University, Westerville, Ohio, U.S., 10-13 July 2017.
Gan. Y. M. & Tencent Research Institute. Remote Parenting: Video Calls between Migrant Parents and their Left-behind Children. Tencent Research Institute. [Academic report] Online summary: https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/1Mdi8enhHdFJRcx_SCdrPw
Gan. Y. M. (2017). Practice of Video-based Fieldwork. Final Report for China Fieldwork Grant. (Excellent Paper Award)
- 09/2019 - 06/2020. Fulbright-RGC Hong Kong Research Scholar Award Programme for conducting research at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) in the US.
- 04/2019. ICS Mok Hing Cheong Postgraduate Scholarship for 2019-2020, awarded by the Institute of Chinese Studies at the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- 01/2019 - 06/2019. Global Scholarship Programme for Research Excellence for 2018-2019 (Under the mobility of WUN) to conduct research at the University of York (UK), awarded by the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- 07/2018. Excellent Report Award for the grant report titled “Remote Parenting through screen: the practice of video-based fieldwork”, awarded by China Fieldwork Grant (Grant No. 303029-2017046).
- 09/2017-07/2017. The Young Scholar Research Fellow (“青年学者计划”), funded by S-Tech (‘Society and Technology’) Lab of Tencent Research Institute, Beijing.
- 06/2017-12/2017. China Fieldwork Grant (Grant No. 303029-2017046), funded by Tencent Research Institute and Sun Yat-Sen University, 1 June 2017.