1) Be determined and have a plan
- Set a quit day, do not smoke since this day
- Think of the challenges you may encounter and find a solution for each
- Tell your family and friends that you are quitting and get their support.
- Dispose things that are associated with smoking, e.g. cigarettes, ashtrays and lighters.
- Stay away from smoking situations and cigarettes.
- Stick reminders on areas that can be easily seen to remind yourself.
2) Conquering nicotine addiction
- Declare that you are quitting
- Deep breathing when feeling the urge of smoking
- Drink plenty of water
- Delay the urge for a cigarette. Put something other than a cigarette in your mouth. e.g. sugarless gum
- Distract the attention from smoking to something else like making a phone call to your friends, have a walk after meal, bring with you sugarless gum, candies, etc. instead of cigarette, plan for your daily activities, for example, have a hot bath, do some exercise and reading
- Remind yourself the commitment you have made by reading the smoking cessation declaration you have signed.
- Develop new interest (e.g. jogging, swimming, playing tennis, drawing)