Programme review is one of the quality assurance mechanisms of the University. The first 6-year cycle of undergraduate programme review was conducted from 2005 to 2010 and the second 2-year cycle of ‘light’ review was conducted from 2010 to 2012. Currently, the third-cycle review has commenced and will be completed by 2018-19.
CLEAR has been entrusted with the responsibility to conduct a meta-analysis of the undergraduate programme review reports since 2013. With this systematic analysis of the content of the reports, a list of good practices was established on different categories of teaching and learning. Echoed with the current cycle of programme review exercise, CLEAR will propose to conduct a new round of meta-analysis of review reports not only to identify good practices, but also to explore innovative pedagogies under these good practices. Good practices and innovative pedagogies identified in the last round and this round of programme reviews will be examined in greater detail and implementation measures will be disseminated via different means.
Two overall objectives:
- To disseminate good practices in teaching and learning and programme management identified in the 2nd cycle light programme review.
- To conduct a meta-analysis of the reports of the 3rd cycle of programme review which was conducted between 2016 and 2019.
Activities, process and outcomes
Part I – Follow up of light programme reviews
- Phase 1: Comprehensive review on the 2nd cycle programme review reports, formulation of evaluation criteria for exemplary programmes and analysis of good practices
- Phase 2: In-depth interviews with exemplary programmes
- Phase 3: Showcases of good practices
- Phase 4: Development of micro-modules and website for dissemination
Part II – Analysis of the 3rd cycle programme reviews
- Phase 1: The initial stage of meta-analysis
- Phase 2: Reviewing all programme review reports and finalizing the list of good practices
- Phase 3: Compiling reports
- Phase 4: Statistical analysis of the programme review reports
Deliverables and evaluation
Part I – Follow-up on the 2nd cycle of meta-analysis
- Five micro-modules to showcase the good practices identified from 10 programmes
- A project website to promote the good practices
Part II – Meta-analysis of 3rd cycle programme review
- A report with findings, an Excel summary illustrating different levels of analysis results and 69 coded reports
- A report with findings from statistical analysis and score sheets
Dissemination, diffusion, impact and sharing of good practices
- The project website with micro-modules showcasing good practices on Assessment, Learning activity, Learning outcome, Programme design and Programme management will be disseminated to all CUHK teachers. These micro-modules will be used for professional development activities.
- A set of documents detailing the meta-analysis findings will serve as a reference in quality assurance mechanism thus facilitating the University in devising its strategic plans.