1. My book, The I Ching in Tokugawa Thought and
Culture, was awarded as a "2000
Choice Outstanding Academic Book" by
the American Library Association, and as a "Significant
University Press Title, 1999-2000" by
the Association of American University Presses
2001). It was nominated by the Association for Asian
Studies for the John Hall Book Prize for the
Academic Book in Japanese Studies/Korean Studies
in June 2001.
2. Research Excellence Award 2006-07 (Nominated)
3. RGC Competitive Earmarked Research
4. Exemplary Teaching Award 2003 (nominated).
5. Sumitomo Research Grant, 2002-2003.
6. NUS Research Grant, 2000-2001, Singapore.
7. Double Merit Increment for Excellent Research,
June 2000, Dean of Arts and Social Sciences, National
University of Singapore.
8. Sumitomo Research Grant, 1998-1999, Japan.
9. Princeton Fellowship Award, (September 1990-June
1996), Princeton University.
10. Doctoral Fellowship in Japanese Studies, (July
1993-September 1994), Japan Foundation, Japan.
Scholarship, (10/85-4/88), Ministry of
12. Kinomiya Yasuhiko Prize (first runner-up) for
Best Paper on Sino-Japanese Cultural Interchange, (10/87),
13. First Class Honors and Top Student of Class 85,
Chinese University of Hong Kong.